UDP monitoring allows you to test the availability and response time of your UDP server by sending a UDP packet to designated UDP port from multiple locations around the world.
Once you add a UDP monitor for your UDP server, Monitis will start sending out UDP packets to your server and will expect any response from the server at your preset regular intervals of time to check if your UDP server is accessible.
In most cases, failure status is returned by your UDP monitor if:
- No response from the server within the set timeout
- Network error
- Permission error (server behind firewall, Monitis IPs not white-listed, etc)
- DNS resolving error
- SSL version not supported by user’s server
Adding UDP Monitor
To add a UDP Monitor, go to the Monitors menu and select Uptime Monitors –> UDP.
The Add Uptime Monitor – Step 1 window will open.
Under URL/IP, enter the URL or IP address of your web site.
Change the default port number under Port if needed.
Enter the value (seconds) under Timeout (sec). Your server will be considered down if not responded within this amount of time.
To add more uptime monitors of different types to the same URL/IP, click the green “+” button under Add protocols you would like to monitor (see Adding Multiple Uptime Monitors to the Same URL/IP).
Click Next when finished. The Add Uptime Monitor – Step 2 window will open.
Select monitor group from the Select Monitor Group combo box. You can also create a new monitor group by clicking on the “+” icon next to Add Group.
Enter a name for your monitor under Enter Monitor Name.
Set the monitoring frequency for your website. By default, the check interval is set 1 min. Move the stepped slider under Check Interval (min) to increase the check interval.
Select the locations you want your website to be monitored from by checking the boxes next to the location names under Monitoring Locations.
Click Add when finished.
The Alert Configuration window will appear.
– Click Send to All Contacts if you want to send alerts for this monitor to all contacts.
– Click Custom Configuration (Advanced) to configure sending alerts for this monitor only to selected contacts. The Add notification rules window will open. Click on the Add Alert Rule button to configure alert rule(s) for your monitor (see Adding Alerts and Managing Alert Rules).
– Click Don’t Send Alerts if you don’t want any alerts for this monitor to be sent.
Your newly created UDP monitor will appear in your Monitis Dashboard. Wait until it will load the first results.
To manage your monitor, click on the icon in the top right corner of the monitor to open the context menu.
See Managing Uptime Monitors for detailed instructions on how to manage your uptime monitors.